Friday, July 8, 2011

Wes explains Sunderland move



Sunderland new boy Wes Brown has admitted he is looking forward to regular first-team football after only making sporadic appearances for United last season.
The popular defender spent 15 years as a professional at Old Trafford but made only four Premier League starts during the 2010/2011 title-winning campaign and, at 31, was happy to accept the offer of a move to the North East.
Former Reds skipper Steve Bruce was a factor in convincing Brown to join and the ex-England international is keen make an impact on Wearside after completing his switch for an undisclosed fee on Thursday.
After signing a four-year contract with his new club, Brown told SAFC TV: "It's been alright [making the decision] maybe because I'm older.
"It was disappointing not to have played as much as I could at Manchester United over the last couple of seasons so just to know that I'll be back in, playing, I'm focusing on that really and looking forward to it.
"Last season, I couldn't get into the team and that was frustrating but that's football and you move on.
"Sunderland is a big club and Steve Bruce was a big factor coming into it. That's what it came down to really. When I was younger, I used to watch Steve and I've known him a bit as well so it was fine.
"I know a couple of lads who have been here and they say it's a wonderful club and I thought this was the place for me to come."
Bruce expressed his joy at sealing the deal in an interview with the Black Cats' official website as he continues to reshape his squad this summer.
"We are delighted to welcome a player of Wes' ability, experience and character to the club," said the former Reds captain.
"He has been a fantastic professional for Manchester United through the years and not only will he strengthen our defensive options, he will also bring with him a winning mentality and level of maturity which can only be positive for the players around him."

No comments:

Post a Comment