Monday, April 11, 2011

Chris ready and willing


"I've just got to keep training well and when I get a chance like today it's important to make it count and help the team win and keep a clean sheet."
- Chris Smalling


Chris Smalling says he fully understood Sir Alex Ferguson's decision to play Rio Ferdinand in the Champions League clash with Chelsea last week, but he was delighted to be back in action against his former team as the Reds beat Fulham at Old Trafford.

Up until last Wednesday's quarter-final first leg at Stamford Bridge, Smalling had started the Reds' previous eight games while Ferdinand recovered from a calf problem.
Sir Alex said on Friday that it had been a 'terrible moment' when he'd had to tell Smalling he wouldn't be playing against Chelsea, but Chris insists he is just happy to play his part whenever called upon.
"I knew it was coming because Rio is a world class player," he told MUTV.
"The manager put his faith in me early on in the season and he's stuck with me and given me some big games. I was hoping I could be involved in one of the games this week and that's happened.
"I've just got to keep training well and when I get a chance like today it's important to make it count and help the team win and keep a clean sheet."
The 2-0 victory over Mark Hughes' men extended the Reds' lead over Arsenal at the top of the table and Smalling says everyone is determined to make sure United stay there until the end of the campaign.
"We're in a great position and I'm sure any other team would love to be where we are.
We're just counting down the games now and we need to keep digging in. Hopefully we can keep things going," he added.
Attentions now turn to the Champions League and FA Cup as the Reds prepare to take on Chelsea and Manchester City respectively. And Chris says the players are relishing the challenges ahead.
"We've been focused on the Fulham game, but that's gone now and we're all looking forward to a massive week. We've been great at home all season and I don't see why we can't kick things off well there on Tuesday."

No comments:

Post a Comment