Thursday, April 14, 2011

Interview : Scholes fully focused


After returning from a ban for 10 yellow cards, Paul Scholes tells United Review he's setting his sights on double figures of a different kind - his 10th league title...  

How do you rate Wayne Rooney’s recent form - is it the perfect response to the people who’ve criticised him this season?
He’s had stick ever since the World Cup probably. It seems he’s been made a scapegoat for it, and that isn’t right when there are 20 other players in the England squad. But Wayne showed at West Ham why he plays for us every week – he showed what he’s capable of, and it was a match-winning performance from him.


Ryan Giggs has also shown he can play as a rampaging left-back...
Ryan plays brilliantly wherever he is in the team. He can play centre-forward, centre midfield, left wing, left back… anywhere. Goalkeeper is probably the only position I’ve never seen him play in. But I’m sure he could do that too!


Are Saturday's FA Cup opponents City still in contention for the title?  
Yes, you’d have to say City are a threat. They’re 10 points behind us but it only takes us to slip up a few times and for them to win their games and they’re right back in it. They’re above Chelsea and close to Arsenal so I don’t think you can write City off.

The chasing teams are asking quite a lot if they expect us to slip up in April and May. We often get into a groove at this stage of the season…
We have done in the past, yes, and hopefully we can go

on and do it again. I think getting to April is all about putting yourself in a position to win trophies. We’ve managed to do that again this season and now we just have to finish the job, especially in the league, and we’ll see what happens in the cup competitions as well.

What were your memories of playing with Saturday's rival manager Mark Hughes when you first broke into the team at United?
He was one of the top, top players so he was someone I was probably a bit scared of when I went into the first-team squad, with the likes of Bryan Robson and Steve Bruce in there as well. Mark Hughes was a legend really. He’d been everywhere – he’d been to Barcelona, to Bayern Munich and back again to win more trophies with United. He was one of my heroes when I was growing up and watching football. I didn’t play too many games with him but just to be able to train with him was great.


You’ve won nine titles – which one gave you the most pleasure and why?
All the titles give me pleasure, I don’t think I could single out one. The first one, the last one, the next one… they’re all special. But I think the season when I scored 20 goals, in all competitions, was probably my best season (2002/03). I played a lot of games up front with Ruud (van Nistelrooy) and really enjoyed it.


Next Saturday we’ll be at Wembley for the FA Cup semi-final against City. Is there a lot of excitement in the squad?
Yes there is. It’s a massive game and I think there’s excitement throughout Manchester really. A Manchester derby at Wembley is

something to really look forward to and I just pray we get the right result at the end of it. I’ve been hammered for ticket requests, I’ve had loads. I just hope I can keep everyone happy!

You’ll keep everyone happy if you score against City like you did last April…
Yeah, that would be nice! (laughs)


The fan’s question (Jake Prendergast): Have you been to see Oldham Athletic this season?
Yes, I’ve taken my son to Boundary Park a few times and they look a very good team. They don’t have a lot of resources, it’s not a massive squad, but I think the manager (Paul Dickov) has done a great job. They’ve had a sticky spell lately but every time I see them I think they’re a good team. I hope they have a good end to the season.

No comments:

Post a Comment