Saturday, May 28, 2011

Da Silvas stick together

Rafael da Silva says he will be happy for his twin brother, Fabio, if he is selected for this weekend's Champions League final clash with Barcelona.

One of the most intriguing selection dilemmas for Sir Alex Ferguson centres around his starting right-back at Wembley, with the twins and John O'Shea all in contention.
After nailing down the position for the bulk of this season, Rafael has been usurped by Fabio and O'Shea in recent weeks, but the more experienced da Silva twin says everyone is benefiting from the increased competition.
"I think it's always important to have rivalry," he says. "That makes us better football players. I think it's me, my brother Fabio and John O'Shea fighting for the same place.
"I'll be very happy for Fabio if he gets picked. I'll be sad for myself if I'm not playing but I'll be feeling happy for him. It's difficult for us to be competing for the same position but at the same time it's good. It helps us grow as players.
"I think I'm much more aggressive than him. He's much calmer than me. I get much more nervous when he's playing. I'm not sure why this happens but it does!"
The twins' potential involvement at Wembley is, according to Rafael, further validation of their decision to move to England in order to further their careers. "Moments like this are the ones when we realise it was well worth it to leave everything behind in Brazil," he says. "This is a big challenge.
"It's very important for us to prepare properly, while taking into account that this is a Champions League final. We've done that so far and I'm confident we'll be ready."

No comments:

Post a Comment