Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Fletch's empathy with fans


"My family had to leave the house a few times when a game was on because I turned into a completely different person. It's frustrating watching on TV because there's nothing you can do to influence the situation."
- Darren Fletcher


Darren Fletcher can empathise with United's supporters as the Reds bid to clinch the first leg of a remarkable double at Ewood Park on Saturday.
The midfielder knows better than most what it's like to watch from the sidelines after two months out due to a virus that robbed him of nearly a stone in weight.
As the Scotland international hopes to be involved against Blackburn for Sir Alex Ferguson's title-chasers, he knows the fans will be put through the mill as they eagerly await the chance to celebrate at least a point that would put Chelsea out of reach.
"I turned into a bit of a mad fan [while I was out]," he told United Review. "It's odd: it seems the further away from it you are, the more intense the feelings.
"My family are glad I'm back now. They had to leave the house a few times when a game was on because I turned into a completely different person. It's frustrating watching on TV because there's nothing you can do to influence the situation."
Fletcher is keen to play some part in the season's gripping finale, with the manager hinting he could be involved in the Champions League final with Barcelona at Wembley after missing out on the Rome clash between the two European superpowers in 2009.
"I just want to contribute however I can," Fletcher stressed. "Whether that's starting or coming off the bench, it doesn't matter.
"I just want to be involved, especially at this stage of the season. Challenging for trophies is what being a Manchester United player is all about and I want to be part of that."
The 27-year-old has also listed the key ingredients required to become champions of England. "Experience, resilience, fighting spirit, good players, good performances and good preparation," he stated. "It's a combination of lots of things."
 

No comments:

Post a Comment