Saturday, May 28, 2011

Nani keeping calm

"It is about the team. Alone, I am not going to get anything. Of course, sometimes, my individual skill can produce something to win the game. That is how things can happen. But I want to win the trophy as a team, then I can be a more important player."
- Nani

Nani is in a relaxed and confident mood ahead of Saturday's final - even though he realises he faces a fight to get a place in the starting XI.
The Portuguese star has enjoyed an outstanding season, winning the club's Players' Player of the Year award recently, but may have to settle for a place on the bench at Wembley, such is the fierce competition for places that that is causing Sir Alex Ferguson many a headache.
Many observers feel Nani is in a straight battle with Antonio Valencia for the right wing slot and the wide man is happy to accept the manager's judgement. "There is no pressure on me," he affirmed. "I know my quality. I know what I have been doing for my team-mates. The manager knows what he is doing. I have played every game. Antonio is just starting now. He has played a couple of games because I needed a rest. Now I am feeling very good and we will let the manager decide.
"It is good when you have competition for places. It makes you stronger and more alert. You have to be at your best if you want to play and that is a good thing."
The former Sporting Lisbon star certainly has the ability to settle tight games and the flair to cause problems for any defence. However, he is keen to stress it will need to be a team effort to overcome Barcelona and he is still improving his own game.
"At the moment, I don't think just about myself," he stated. "It is about the team. Alone, I am not going to get anything.
"Of course, sometimes, my individual skill can produce something to win the game. That is how things can happen. But I want to win the trophy as a team, then I can be a more important player.
"Every time I am on the training pitch, I always practice to try and get better and better. I want to improve the things I am not good at. I am trying to be mentally stronger. I want to learn things because I am not perfect. There are a lot of things I can improve on."
With so many talented individuals on show on Saturday, Nani knows he will be at home when trying to do what comes naturally. "I like to play against teams who play that [entertaining] way," he explained. "It is good for me. I have played against Argentina and Spain and always done well. Barcelona's football is quite the same and the players are the same. I feel happy because I know when I play against those players, it will go right.
"When I am at home and watching TV I think about Barcelona's players in a totally different way to if I am playing against them. I want to be better than them. On the pitch, I want to do the things that they do. But, at home, I appreciate the way they play. They are fantastic players."

No comments:

Post a Comment