Friday, May 6, 2011

Rio's European highlights

Rio Ferdinand recalls his favourite European moments to date with the Reds...
 

Favourite game 
The final in Moscow for obvious reasons, but I’d also say the 7-1 win over Roma. It was just one of those nights when everything clicked.
First goal 
I got my first against Deportivo [in 2001] when I was at Leeds. My first for United was at Dynamo Kiev [in 2007]. We won 4-2 and I scored with a header.
Favourite away ground  
I’d say Celtic Park for the atmosphere. The roar before the game when we were there two seasons ago is one of the loudest I’ve heard.  
Best Old Trafford atmosphere  
Barcelona in the [2008] semi-final. We were under a lot of pressure but the noise the crowd made was incredible and they really drove us on.
Best away atmosphere  
Besiktas. I didn’t play in the game [in 2009] but I was at the stadium and I spent a lot of the night watching their fans rather than the match!
Toughest opponent  
Probably Raúl when he was at Madrid. He’s a striker who’s always on the move - it’s almost like he runs on his tiptoes, and he has a habit of ghosting into great positions.
Best moment  
Moscow. The emotions that night were incredible. To win it, and for me to be captain, was an unbelievable feeling and it’s something we want to repeat.

2008: Rio lifts the Champions League trophy in the Moscow rain

No comments:

Post a Comment